- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, (MSME), 1990
Specialization: Computer Aided Design of Engineering Systems
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), 2000
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering Technology, 1983
Professional Specialization Certificate – Microprocessor Programming
Professional Specialization Certificate – Computer Aided Analysis
Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, WI
- Associate of Science, Mechanical Design Technology, 1978
North Central Technical Institute, Wausau, WI
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Washington, Missouri
- Board Certified Diplomate Forensic Engineer (DFE), 2014 to Present
National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE)
Owner, Consultant, and Expert Witness, Webster Engineering, LLC, 2011 - Present
Providing mechanical engineering analysis, consulting, and expert witness services to attorneys in cases of personal injury, product liability, and patents regarding issues such as:
- Conveyor design and safety
- Material handling systems
- Material lifts and lifting systems
- Machine design, safety, and failure
- Hydraulics and hydraulic lifting systems
Vice President of Engineering, Pflow Industries, Inc., 1985 - 2020
Recipient of the Wisconsin Governors New Product Development Award twice for two of my designs.
Design and manufacture of:
- Conveyor systems
- Lifting systems
- Custom engineered material handling systems
- Industrial machinery and controls
- Industry leader in Vertical Reciprocating Conveyors
- Automated vehicle parking lifts, display lifts, and storage lifts
ASME Codes & Standards Activity
- Chair, ASME B20.1 "Safety Standards for Conveyors and Related Equipment" committee. Vice Chair 2010-2013. Member since 2002.
- ASME Board on Safety Codes and Standards. Chair 2015-2021. Vice Chair 2015-2018. Member since 2011.
- ASME Board on Codes and Standards Operations. Member 2018-2021.
- ASME Council on Standards and Certification. Member 2018-2021.
- ASME Safety Codes and Standards Awards Committee. Chair 2016 – 2018.
- ASME Task Force on the Review of the "Examples of Use for Mechanical Engineering Students" Brochure. Member since 2011.
- ASME Material Handling Engineering Division Executive Committee. Chair 2013-2015. Vice Chair 2012-2013.
- ASME Manufacturing Technical Group Operating Board. Alternate Member 2012-2013.
- Nominating Committee. Member 2017-2019.
Professional Association Membership
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Wisconsin Society of Professional Engineers (WSPE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE)
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- ASTM E58 Committee on Forensic Engineering, Member
Continuing Education and Training
- Forensic Engineering Training, Various Topics, National Academy of Forensic Engineers, 2015-2018 (61 hours)
- SolidWorks Simulation and Motion Software Training, 2014 (16 hours)
- Autodesk Mechanical Event Simulation Software Training, 2006 (16 hours)
- Patent Litigation, 2017 (16 hours)
- US 5,908,088 Hydraulic Drive (Material Handling Lift)
- US 6,820,295 Support Leg Apparatus (Dock Leveler Safety)
- US 6,896,125 Belt Attachment Method (Continuous Vertical Conveyor/Material Lift)
- US 7,131,532 Belt Attachment Method (Continuous Vertical Conveyor/Material Lift)
- US 7,453,358 Shopping Cart Lift with Gated Access (Conveyor Safety)
- US 7,779,992 Shopping Cart Conveyor with Pivoting Lug (Conveyor Drive)
- US 7,931,136 Jam Sensor for Shopping Cart Conveyor (Conveyor Safety)
- US 8,075,237 Multi-Level Vehicle Lift (Automotive Display Lift)
- US 8,328,003 Shopping Cart Conveyor with Gate Assembly (Conveyor Safety)
- US 9,517,845 Moveable Personnel Platform for Unloading a Unit Load Device (Material Handling)
- US 9,598,242 Moving Work Surface (Assembly Line Conveyor System)
- US 10,183,840 System for Chain Chordal Action Suppression (Vertical Conveyor/Material Lift)
- US 10,913,635 System for Chain Chordal Action Suppression (Vertical Conveyor/Material Lift)
- US 11,059,678 Barrel Elevator Including Shielded Actuation Mechanisms (Conveyor/Lift)
- CA 2,880,976 Moving Work Surface (Assembly Line Conveyor System)
- 16/266,226 Hinged Carriage Deck for Vertical Reciprocating Conveyor (Pending)
Publications and Presentations
- "Recreational Vehicle Storage Lift", Elevator World Magazine, March 2003
(Servo-Hydraulic Lift Drive System).
- "An Introduction to Forensic Engineering with Case Studies" presented at the Illinois Society of Professional Engineers annual conference, July 19, 2018. Personal injury/product liability case studies involving a hydraulic dock lift and an aerial lift.
- "Dynamic Motion Simulation: Application in Forensic Engineering", Journal of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers, June 2019.
- Quoted in: "Moving-floor assembly line streamlines production of farm equipment", Design World, December 16, 2015.
- Quoted in: "Unique Lift System Enables Installation and Servicing of Large Telescope Mirrors", Motion Design, October 2018.